Man appears in court on Keighley murder charge

Steve JonesYorkshire
News imageHandout A man with short brown hair wearing a grey suit stands against a backdrop of white flowersHandout
Suhail Choudry died on 11 February, three days after he was attacked

A man has been charged with murder over the death of a father-of-two from Keighley, in what police have called a "targeted attack".

Suhail Choudry, 35, died in hospital on 11 February, three days after he was found injured in Flasby Street after being chased and attacked by a group of men armed with sticks and bats.

Rashid Hussain, of Redcliffe Street, Keighley, has been charged with murder, possession of an offensive weapon in a public place and violent disorder.

The 41-year-old appeared at Bradford Magistrates Court earlier were he was remanded in custody to appear at Bradford Crown Court on Monday.

In a statement, Suhail's wife Zara, who is pregnant with their third child, said: "On the early morning of Suhail's attack when I received a phonecall, I could never have imagined what the coming days would bring.

"Suhail was a father before anything, it was his proudest title and he was their world.

"Telling our children their daddy has passed away is something no mother should have to do, we will never find peace with the brutality in which he left us."

Anisa Razzaq, who attended the prayers, said his death had had a "massive impact on not just the Keighley community, but the Bradford and West Yorkshire communities as a whole".

Three other men arrested in connection with the death have been released on police bail, police said earlier this week.

Listen to highlights from West Yorkshire on BBC Sounds, catch up with the latest episode of Look North.

Related internet links