'Vital route' reopens after weeks of flooding

News imageTravel Somerset The road, which has some mud on it, is clear of floodwater. The field next to it is almost entirely waterlogged, with only a thin strip of grass visible. Glastonbury Tor can be seen in the distance. Travel Somerset
The road was closed for more than three weeks

A major route across the Somerset Levels has reopened after weeks of flooding.

Part of the A361 was closed on 25 January as water levels rose, with a major incident declared two days later due to widespread flooding.

In response, extra pumps were deployed to 19 locations across the Levels and Moors by the Environment Agency (EA). The major incident was stood down on Wednesday and and Somerset Council has since reopened the route.

Councillor Richard Wilkins, the council's lead member for transport and waste services, said he was "really pleased" that motorists were able to use the "vital route" again.

"We understand the urgency for local people, businesses and road users, but we have to ensure the road is safe and completely clear of debris," he added.

Wilkins said it had been an "unprecedented" start to the year, adding that further wet weather in the forecast meant the council was "prepared to act swiftly to reclose the road if necessary".

Some roads remain closed, including Cutts Road, Langport Road and New Road on the Levels.

Residents affected by the closures have been advised to check for updates on the Travel Somerset Facebook page or the website and plan their journeys ahead carefully.

Follow BBC Somerset on Facebook and X. Send your story ideas to us on email or via WhatsApp on 0800 313 4630.

Related internet links