Murder arrests after Southampton Common death

Charlotte ColesSouth of England
News imageCrimestoppers Man with short grey hair - he has brown eyes and is looking at the camera with his head turned to the right - he has a slight smile.Crimestoppers
Ernest Deputat's body was found in a wooded area on the afternoon of 8 October 2025

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murdering a man who was found dead in woodland in Southampton.

Ernest Konrad Deputat, 45, was discovered in woodland on Southampton Common on 8 October by a member of the public, sparking a murder investigation.

On Monday, a 30-year-old man was arrested in Bradford, West Yorkshire, and a 34-year-old man was arrested in Newham, London.

Both were arrested on suspicion of murder. They have both been transferred to Southampton, where they are being held in custody.

News imageHampshire Constabulary A police officer wearing a yellow hi-viz jacket and cap is attaching a poster to a lamppost. At the top of the poster it says Appeal. The rest of the writing is too small to be seen in the photo.Hampshire Constabulary
Appeal posters include QR codes to help people report information were put up throughout Southampton Common

Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary said Mr Deputat, a Polish national, had been living off-grid close to where he was found and was known among the homeless community.

The force said as part of its initial enquiries at the scene, there was evidence of a fire.

Det Ch Insp Matt Gillooly, who is leading the investigation, said: "These arrests are an important step in our work to provide answers to Ernest's family and to the community about what happened to him, but we still need to hear from anyone who might have information which could assist us.

"We have undertaken a large-scale investigation since Ernest's body was found in October, looking to understand his movements around the time of his death and his lifestyle.

"If you have any information, not only about his tragic death but about any aspect of Ernest's life, then we want to hear from you.

"It may be vitally important to our investigation."

Independent charity Crimestoppers has also offered £20,000 reward for anonymous information leading to a murder conviction.