Residents get safety advice after woodland arsons
Leicestershire PoliceResidents have been given safety advice after a spate of arson attacks in woods near their homes.
Emergency services visited Dunbar Way estate, off Leicester Road, in Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire, on Tuesday, targeting properties backing on to the woods.
In January, trees there were repeatedly set alight, which Ashby PCSO Maryann Mason said had posed "a significant risk to public safety, wildlife and nearby homes".
Searches in the area previously recovered aerosol cans, flammable materials - such as batteries and aftershave - and tools, including screwdrivers and knives, which were believed to have been used to the start fires.
Leicestershire PoliceOfficers from the emergency services spoke with residents about staying vigilant and how to raise the alarm on fire-related concerns with the fire brigade.
They also consulted on how the community could help to tackle fire-setting behaviour and prevent further incidents.
PCSO Mason said: "Following recent reports of a specific tree in the woodland being deliberately set alight - potentially by local youths - the team carried out community engagement to offer residents reassurance and clear advice."
Home safety checks were also carried out by the fire service to check for working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
Follow BBC Leicester on Facebook, on X, or on Instagram. Send your story ideas to eastmidsnews@bbc.co.uk or via WhatsApp on 0808 100 2210.
