Gig axed after backlash over controversial singer

News imageGetty Images A man with semi-shaved head and black braids sings into a microphone. There are stage lights shining through mist on the stage behind him.Getty Images
Michale Graves has been criticised for endorsing far-right group The Proud Boys

A controversial gig at a music venue has been cancelled after the booking drew criticism over the musician's alleged far-right links.

Michale Graves - best known as a former frontman of the US punk band Misfits - had been due to take to the stage at The Marrs Bar in Worcester on Friday night.

Neil Laurensen, a Green councillor in the city, had called on the venue to cancel the event, as he said Graves allegedly supported American far-right group, the Proud Boys. Graves said he does not promote violence, hatred or harm.

An email to ticket holders from The Marrs Bar said Graves had decided not to fly to Britain, which was why the gig was cancelled.

A spokesperson added that they did not call off the show despite "many threats" attempting to force them to.

The venue declined to speak to the BBC but, in a previous statement, it said it did not assess performers on the basis of their alleged political views or affiliations and added it would not be drawn into political disputes.

After gigs in Wales were also pulled this week, the tour's promoters, Deadwave Records, said they had been shelved "to avoid trouble" after "a group of people protested against them".

News imageA man, wearing a grey jumper over a white shirt, is sitting at a desk. He has turned to the side to smile at the camera. There is a laptop on the desk and his hands are resting on the keyboard. He has short brown hair and is wearing rectangular framed glasses.
Green Party councillor Neil Laurensen said he was "pleased" at the cancellation

"I'm very pleased," Laurensen told the BBC on Friday.

"Tolerating intolerance just leads to more intolerance."

He added that he had received "hundreds" of abusive messages via social media and email since he condemned the booking.

"I've had insults you wouldn't believe... it's been an absolute nightmare," he said.

A member of The Misfits between 1995 and 2000, Graves endorsed The Proud Boys - designated a terrorist body in both Canada and New Zealand - on social media in 2020.

He also testified in defence of several members when they were tried over the part they played in the storming of Washington's Capitol building on 6 January 2021 - an unsuccessful attempt to overturn President Donald Trump's defeat in the 2020 US election.

Graves' other cancelled shows include London, Reading, Oxford, Bradford, Cardiff, Swansea, Aberdare, Glasgow, Sheffield, Edinburgh, Portsmouth, Stockport and Bournemouth.

Posting on X, Graves said he was "very concerned" that staff at the affected venues had been "placed under significant pressure and distress" for "simply doing their jobs".

He added: "My shows have always been about music, connection and shared experience, with audiences from all cultures and walks of life who are welcomed and respected."

Follow BBC Hereford & Worcester on BBC Sounds, Facebook, X and Instagram.

Related internet links