Sudden market closure beggars belief, traders say

Federica Bedendo,North East and Cumbriaand
Mike Zeller,BBC Radio Cumbria
News imageBBC The entrance to Barrow Market Hall. The long two-storey redbrick building has a sign above the doorway and is surrounded by blue wooden boards. Street lights can be seen on the flat roof.BBC
Barrow Market Hall was closed with immediate effect with traders given until Friday to vacate

A decision to suddenly shut a town's market "beggars belief", shocked traders have said.

Westmorland and Furness Council announced on Tuesday it was closing the market hall in Barrow after recent wet weather highlighted leaks in the roof, which may also lead to the building needing to be demolished.

Peter Gott, who had traded at the market since it opened in 1971, said he was sad and shocked at the sudden decision.

The Liberal Democrat-led council said it had been a difficult decision and acknowledged the "significant impact" on traders.

"A sudden closure is never welcome, and we would like to provide assurance that this is not a decision taken lightly," a spokesman said.

Gott, who runs the Sillfield Farm Foods stall, said he was also concerned about the impact on people who did not drive and relied on the market for their shopping.

"It's about true British values and unfortunately it's just been sunk in one fell move," he said.

News imageWalney Musical Theatre Company "Elle" from the Legally Blonde production is standing on the pink carpet rolled out in front of the Forum with her hands raised and a smile on her face. She is wearing a pink dress and black graduation cap and gown. Above her the sign for "the forum" is black and white, with various posters dotted around the exterior wall.Walney Musical Theatre Company
The Forum has been closed since July 2024 after asbestos was found

The redevelopment of the building had been on the cards for the last few years, but he said the council promised traders a six-month notice period following any decision.

"It beggars belief, it's just how it's been brought upon us," he said.

"There's been an opportunity to move us and relocate us to the town centre over the last three years, but for some reason or other they held back," Gott said.

Traders said the council told them compensation would be available, but most of them wanted to continue trading.

James McMahon, of Retro Cove, had been selling retro games and media in the market for 14 years.

"Most of the traders are 50 plus, so if they can't trade any more they won't have pension schemes - that's one of the reasons they want to hold on so much," he said.

He added a lot of the traders offered "niche" products or services, meaning it was important for customers, with whom relationships had been formed, to be able to speak to them in person.

"I've already had phone calls from customers asking what's going on and offers of help as well," he said.

Regeneration plan

The council said both the market hall and venue The Forum, which has been shut since July 2024 after asbestos was found, had reached the end of their lives.

"To re-open either or both buildings, even temporarily, would lead to extensive and costly remedial works," a council spokesman said.

Councillor Helen Chaffey, cabinet member for communities and culture at Westmorland and Furness Council, said the authority recognised the importance of both buildings.

She said the "essential elements" of the Forum and market would be part of the multi-million pound Heart of Barrow project, a town centre redevelopment funded by the government, council and nuclear submarine builder BAE.

Follow BBC Cumbria on X, Facebook, Nextdoor and Instagram.

Related internet links