Bus driver strike 'now seems inevitable'
IOM GOVERNMENTStrike action by bus drivers in a dispute with the government over pay and entitlements "now seems inevitable", the bus operator has said.
On Thursday the Department of Infrastructure (DOI) said it was "hopeful" the walk-out could be avoided after it put forward a fourth offer to the Unite union.
However, it said that offer and an additional one made in the evening had been rejected, and a request for industrial action to be deferred while the union's own proposal was costed by the department was "regrettably refused".
A spokesman for Bus Vannin – which operates the government-funded services – said it was "disappointed" the 10-day strike would now start on Saturday as planned.
"We are disappointed to report that despite ongoing negotiations Unite the Union's strike action on Saturday now seems inevitable," he said.
"Bus Vannin sincerely apologises for the uncertainty and inconvenience this situation is causing its passengers."
The talks, which were facilitated by the Manx Industrial Relations Service, took place throughout the day on Thursday.
The bus operator said it was now focussed on finalising contingency plans to support passengers.
The Unite union has been approached for comment.
It had previously said the latest proposals by the infrastructure department had included "reductions in established allowances and alterations to terms that members rely on".
Read more stories from the Isle of Man on the BBC, watch BBC North West Tonight on BBC iPlayer and follow BBC Isle of Man on Facebook and X.
