Two bailed after Southampton Common murder arrests

Charlotte ColesSouth of England
News imageCrimestoppers Man with short grey hair - he has brown eyes and is looking at the camera with his head turned to the right - he has a slight smile.Crimestoppers
Ernest Deputat's body was found in a wooded area on the afternoon of 8 October 2025

Two men arrested on suspicion of murdering a man who was found dead in woodland have been released on bail.

The body of Ernest Konrad Deputat, 45, was discovered by a member of the public in woodland on Southampton Common, close to a wildlife reserve north of the Ornamental Lake on 8 October.

On Monday, a 30-year-old man was arrested in Bradford, West Yorkshire, and a 34-year-old man was arrested in Newham, London.

Both were then brought to Southampton and interviewed by detectives in custody, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary said.

Det Ch Insp Matt Gillooly, who is leading the investigation, said they were released on bail "with strict conditions in place".

The force said Deputat, a Polish national, had been living off-grid close to where he was found and was known among the homeless community.

Independent charity Crimestoppers has offered a £20,000 reward for anonymous information leading to a murder conviction.