Driver who caused death of pedestrian gets suspended sentence
PacemakerA pensioner who caused the death of a pedestrian in a Ballymoney car park, has been handed a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.
Sandra Cooper was walking across a car park in the town, when she was hit by and became trapped under a car being driven by Isobel Dunlop, 84, in December 2021.
The court heard victim impact statements about how 64-year-old Mrs Cooper was a much-loved mother and grandmother, whose death has caused a "devastating loss" for her family.
Sentencing Dunlop, from Postboys Walk in Ballymoney, at Antrim Crown Court on Monday the judge told the retired civil servant that her offence crossed the custodial threshold.
However she added that given the background to the case, including the defendant's clear record, guilty plea and genuine remorse, that justified an exceptional approach and therefore, the sentence would be suspended.
This article contains details which some readers may find distressing.
Sandra Cooper had been walking across the car park of the Eurospar, on her way to her own vehicle at about 16:30 GMT, the court heard.
Dunlop, who had also been in the shop, had reversed out of a space but when she went to drive forwards, the front nearside of her car struck Cooper.
The court heard that CCTV showed that victim had become lodged under the car.
Once Dunlop realised there was a person under her car she summoned help, and emergency services tried to resuscitate Cooper but the 64-year-old suffered a cardiac arrest.
Dunlop, the court heard, "co-operated fully" with the police investigation "but could not explain why she did not see the deceased".
'No desire to resume driving'
Earlier this month Dunlop entered a guilty plea to causing the death.
Her defence lawyer said his client wanted him to express publicly, "her sincere apologies and condolences" to Cooper's family.
In addition to the suspended prison sentence, the judge imposed an 18-month driving ban, ordering that the 84-year-old will have to re-sit her test to get back on the road.
The court heard Dunlop "has no desire to resume her driving career".
The judge thanked Cooper's son and daughter who looked on from the public gallery for their poignant Victim Impact Statements.
