Fete organisers say fireworks finale will go ahead

News imageBBC An aerial view of Gorey castle, the pier which hosts much of the fete is visible in the foreground. BBC
Gorey Fete is a one-day event which includes beach games, live music and fireworks

Organisers of one of Jersey's most popular summer events have said their fireworks finale will go ahead despite recent hot and dry weather.

Gorey Fete which is due to take place around Gorey Pier and Grouville Common on Friday, will include food, entertainment, funfair rides and competitions.

James Bevis, managing director of Starburst Fireworks, confirmed earlier he had been granted a permit for the fireworks, adding they would be let off at sea to reduce any risk of fire.

It comes after the Battle of Flowers cancelled its fireworks display amid concerns over dry conditions. Some rain is forecast ahead of Friday's display.

"I'm very happy that we've now got that permit and the show can proceed,"Bevis told BBC Radio Jersey.

"It's been very difficult for us the last few moths. We've cancelled seven displays of our own volition because we're conscious of the requirements for safety."

The Battle of Flowers display was cancelled last weekend after failing to secure the "necessary licence".

The Battle of Flowers Association said it was the safest plan due to the "continuing concerns around the exceptionally dry conditions".

Bevis said the firework display for Gorey Fete was originally due to be fired off from the beach, however the decision was later made to launch from a barge on the sea.

He added: "By being at sea we are fully mobile, we can move wherever we want to work with the wind. For me it's all about safety, I will not put anything at risk."

The fireworks are due to start at 22:30 BST on Friday.

Follow BBC Jersey on X and Facebook. Send your story ideas to channel.islands@bbc.co.uk.