Clubs and fans should be punished for pitch invasions, says ex-SFA chief
PA MediaClubs should be punished by the deduction of points if their fans stage a pitch invasion, according to a former Scottish Football Association (SFA) chief executive.
Gordon Smith described the scenes at Celtic Park on Saturday, after the home side dramatically pipped Hearts to the Scottish Premiership, as "horrendous".
A fans' chief has also called for lifetime bans and tougher legislation to deter supporters from leaving the stands and crossing the white line.
The end of the title-deciding match was marred by a pitch invasion by home fans which led to the Edinburgh side making a hasty exit from the stadium.
Police said two officers were seriously injured following trouble in Glasgow city centre which resulted in 14 arrests.
On Sunday, Celtic issued an apology to Hearts, who had previously condemned the "menacing and threatening atmosphere" in the ground.
Derek McInnes's team had been at the top of the table since September and needed a draw to win the league for the first time since 1960.
But a 3-1 victory - featuring dramatic goals in the 87th and 98th minute - saw Martin O'Neill guide the Parkhead club to its fifth title in-a-row.
PA MediaSmith, who led the SFA from 2007 to 2010, said clubs needed to do more.
He told the BBC's Radio Scotland Breakfast: "I do feel the best way to do it is that the fans know that by doing it they are getting their club punished.
"I think that would maybe make a difference in terms of their behaviour."
Asked what kind of sanction clubs should face, the former Scotland international said: "I would say if its a league game they should have points deducted from them or whatever.
"So that there is a punishment there that is actually a very, very crucial punishment.
"That means the fans themselves would know that this could have a major effect on our team."
PA MediaIt has been a criminal offence to enter the field of play in England and Wales since 1991.
Stuart Murphy, chief executive of the Scottish Football Union, told Radio Scotland Breakfast: "The reality is that the law needs to change.
"In England it is an offence to run onto the pitch. It is only an offence in Scotland if you do something when you run on.
"I think there was an image on Saturday of a Celtic fan on the pitch with a kid in his arms taunting the Hearts players."
Murphy called for tougher penalties to deter offenders from leaving the stands and crossing the white line.
He added: "I think lifetime bans should be happening and I think those identified on the park on Saturday should be brought to task."
First Minister John Swinney described the behaviour of some Celtic supporters as "completely unacceptable".
But the SNP leader would not commit to criminalising pitch invasions at football matches.
He said that such a move would only be considered alongside a consultation on the reform of football banning orders, which closed before the election.
The first minister said the government would engage with the clubs and the football authorities.
Swinney added: "If there are further legislative steps that we've got to consider to make sure that these issues are addressed, then we will do that."
He credited Hearts for engaging with the authorities to plan a victory parade for Sunday.
But the first minister added: "That was not replicated by Celtic and in Glasgow.
"So that's got to be explored to determine what more could be done to make those arrangements.
"What's unacceptable is that the police are left picking up the pieces as the last line of protection for the public and for the infrastructure around about the Trongate."
After the match, bottles and other missiles were thrown at officers as around 3,000 Celtic fans gathered in the Trongate area of the city, less than two miles from the stadium.
Assistant Chief Constable Mark Sutherland said he was "disgusted and frustrated" by the violence shown towards officers.
He said Celtic needed to "step forward" to ensure there was no repeat of the disorder next year.
The club has been contacted for comment.
Glasgow City Council said the majority of fans had celebrated in the right way and complied with a request to stay away from Trongate.
"However, the behaviour of some people in the aftermath of yesterday's match was, quite frankly, an embarrassment," it added in a statement.
"They let down the city, their club and their fellow fans."
Glasgow MSP Paul Sweeney called for an organised event such as a fan zone on Glasgow Green, to prevent such scenes in future.
He told Radio Scotland Breakfast this would prevent vandalism and disorder in the city centre.
Police Scotland said there were 10 arrests in the Trongate and four arrests at Celtic Park.
But more are expected in the coming days after CCTV footage is analysed.
A further four people were arrested in Edinburgh.
A major incident portal has been set up and police are urging members of the public to upload any footage or photographs from Parkhead or the Trongate area that could be useful to the investigation.
After Celtic secured a record-breaking 56th title, fans gathered in the area as they have done in previous years.
Police officers who were assisting paramedics attending a medical emergency were pelted with bottles, and riot police were then used to disperse the crowd.
Sutherland said one officer was left with facial injuries while the other had been left with bruising to his body after being struck by bottles.
"First and foremost, I'm so grateful that only two officers have suffered serious injury," he told BBC Scotland News.
PA MediaAs a precautionary measure glass had already been removed from bus shelters ahead of Saturday's match, which kicked off at 12:30.
By Sunday morning the rubbish strewn streets had been largely cleared up and traffic lights which were damaged by fans climbing on them were being repaired.
Police Scotland had been critical of Celtic ahead of the game, saying that despite talks on the issue, the club had "failed" to bring forward a plan for fans to celebrate safely in the event of victory.
"Celtic must step forward into this space with the authorities, with the broader partnership and ensure that this isn't happening again next year," said Sutherland.
PA MediaAfter striker Callum Osmand scored the third goal Celtic fans spilled onto the pitch and there were reports Hearts players were confronted by rival supporters.
Sutherland said the force was working with Hearts to establish what had happened and would be "carrying out an inquiry and reviewing CCTV to understand if any player has been assaulted or any other fan has been assaulted".
During the disruption thousands of Celtic fans jeered the pitch invaders as the stadium announcer asked them to return to their seats.
The match, which was approaching the end of the indicated eight minutes of added time, did not restart after the pitch invasion.
Some of the Hearts players, including captain Lawrence Shankland were still in their full kits when they arrived back in Edinburgh.
PA MediaIn a statement Hearts said its entire staff had no alternative but to leave immediately, without undertaking post-match media duties.
The statement added: "The pitch invasion caused a chaotic end and nobody seemed to know whether or not the match had been brought to a finish."
Later on Sunday Celtic FC issued a statement saying it regretted that the victory was followed by supporters entering the field of play.
The club promised to co-operate fully with any investigation but the statement did not address the concerns raised by Police Scotland over disorder in the city centre.
The Scottish Professional Football League (SPFL) condemned the pitch invasion but said that prior to awarding the trophy it was informed by the referee that the match had concluded, and had not been abandoned.
In a statement it said it would wait to assess the referee and match delegate's report before making a decision about any potential punishment.
