Spurs to name interim manager before summer appointment

Johan Lange (left) and Vinai Venkatesham (right) are in charge of selecting Thomas Frank's replacement
- Published
Tottenham Hotspur plan to name an experienced head coach as interim manager for the remainder of the season, before making a long-term appointment in the summer.
Thomas Frank was sacked earlier this week, with Spurs five points above the relegation places.
Sources have told BBC Sport that Spurs want an interim manager in place for the players' return to training on Monday.
Former two-time Borussia Dortmund manager Edin Terzic is now a strong contender.
The German, 43, has been out of work since 2024, when he left the Bundesliga club for a second time after their Champions League final defeat by Real Madrid at Wembley.
Marco Rose, who replaced Terzic as manager at Dortmund after his first stint in charge in 2021, is another candidate under consideration.
The 49-year-old was sacked by German club RB Leipzig in March 2025, with the side sixth in the Bundesliga table.
Former Ajax head coach John Heitinga, who joined Spurs as an assistant coach under Frank in January, was a consideration for the interim role but sources have told BBC Sport that his appointment is unlikely at this stage.
Spurs' exit in the FA Cup third round mean they have a nine-day break before the north London derby against rivals Arsenal on 22 February.
With no fixture this weekend, the first team squad were given time off and asked to return on Monday.
The club are aware that mid-season options are limited and that there is likely to be greater availability for potential managers at the end of the campaign.
Frank's downfall: Inside his struggle to get players and fans onboard
- Published11 February
Why Frank at Tottenham was a gamble that ended in bitter failure
- Published11 February
While the process of appointing an interim manager has not yet been concluded, the candidate will be considered as a permanent option should they impress in the role.
Former Spurs manager Mauricio Pochettino is a candidate to permanently replace Frank, and his contract with the United States men's national team expires after this summer's World Cup.
Roberto De Zerbi is another potential candidate, having left French club Marseille by mutual consent earlier this week.

