Recalled Francis relishing chance to help Wales

Tomas Francis gets ready for the next play with WalesImage source, AFP via Getty Images
Image caption,

Tomas Francis won his 78th cap in Wales' Six Nations defeat by England last weekend

ByCeri Coleman-Phillips
BBC Sport Wales

Recalled prop Tomas Francis says it was "tough" witnessing Wales' rapid decline while he was in the international wildnerness.

Francis played in the 2023 Rugby World Cup quarter-final loss to Argentina, and prior to his comeback against England last weekend, could only watch as Wales fell to 21 defeats in 23 Tests.

"It's never nice seeing your mates going through that and not being able to help," the tight-head said.

"I have a chance now to try and come back and help.

"As soon as Steve [Tandy] came in I had conversations with him. It was always the case that if you need me and I'm still playing well enough, I'm going to keep myself in shape to try and add to this team."

Francis left Ospreys to join French Pro D2 side Provence after the World Cup and was not called upon for Wales duty until this year's Six Nations.

And despite all the turmoil in Welsh rugby, Francis says it is great being back in the fold.

"I've missed it, it's awesome to be back," he said.

"It's still a bit surreal, the first week was taking it all in, but I've found my feet and the boys have got stuck into me a bit more this week.

"Distance makes the heart grow fonder, as they say."

Family first

Former Exeter prop Francis will return to the English Premiership next season having signed for Sale and at 33, he still believes he has plenty to offer club and country.

"If I didn't think that, I wouldn't be here. If I didn't have that fire, I wouldn't be here," he said.

"The day those game-day nerves go, then it's time to walk away. I definitely had them last week and hopefully I get a chance to have them again this week [against France].

And for Francis, it will be a special moment as his two young daughters will be watching in Cardiff.

He said: "My girls are flying over tomorrow for their first game. It's why I play, it's family and to be able to come back and for them to be able to watch, it's amazing."

Francis knows the challenge France will bring better than most and says Wales cannot afford to be slow out of the blocks again this week or they will be punished.

"[We've] just got to attack it from first whistle. The French team can score from anywhere," he said.

"As you saw against Ireland, they didn't do a lot wrong and they score a worldie. That could happen in the first minute and we can't feel sorry for ourselves thinking they're a good team and we're not. It's just what's our next job? What's our next thing as a team? What can I do to help my mate?"

Wales v France, Principality Stadium

2026 Six Nations

Sunday, 15 February at 15:10 GMT

Oysters and champagne rugby

Ticket sales for Sunday's match at the Principality have been slower on the uptake compared to previous years, while the Welsh regions struggle to attract regular big crowds.

It is a stark contrast to French rugby, with Francis saying Provence, a second tier French side, have enjoyed "two-and-a-half years of sell-outs".

"It's more of an entertainment in France," he explained.

"They serve oysters on the side of the pitch, they have champagne. There's a party in the bodega after and the rugby matches that.

"That French rugby model of a domestic league is great, hopefully something we can try and emulate here."

But first Wales must put on a better show, having barely fired a shot against England at Allianz Stadium.

"You never go out there to have a bad game or to put the game we put on last week," added Francis.

"We want to put on a show that we're proud of firstly as a team, that our families are proud of and the Welsh public.

"Everyone is working as hard as they can, the effort is there in abundance. The coaches are in their offices until nine at night trying to help us. Hopefully it's going to turn and the performances and results will come."