Ward eyes debut after 'surreal' Irish rugby rise

Ward is pushing for his Ireland debut just four months on from his senior Ulster bow
- Published
For someone so fresh to the unforgiving arena of international rugby, Bryn Ward looked remarkably comfortable in his own skin as he fielded questions from the Irish press pack for the first time.
Sitting back in his chair, arms folded, the 21-year-old spoke with clarity and conviction after being called into Andy Farrell's squad before Saturday's game against Italy.
Life has happened fast for Ward, the son of ex-Ireland flanker Andy and younger brother of Ulster team-mate Zac.
He made his Ulster debut from the start against the Lions in Johannesburg in October thanks to a last-minute call-up after Juarno Augustus failed a fitness test.
It wasn't long before he was attracting lofty praise. Of his player-of-the-match display in the festive derby win over Munster which yielded his first senior try, Ulster boss Richie Murphy said the young back rower's efforts with ball in hand was "up there with the best ball carriers in the world".
With just four senior starts to his name, Ward was named a training panellist in Farrell's Six Nations squad.
After a few days rubbing shoulders with Ireland's best in Portugal, Ward linked up with the Ireland XV for last week's game against England A in Limerick.
While it proved a deeply demoralising night, Ward managed to stand out in a 52-14 defeat, earning an invitation back into Farrell's squad.
He now finds himself pushing for his first cap, sensing an opportunity to show Irish rugby fans a glimpse into the future with the national team at a low ebb.
"It's been a really surreal couple of months and something I've cherished," said Ward.
"I don't want to get ahead of myself. Obviously the goal is to play a match for Ireland but I've really enjoyed it and I'm trying to take each step as it comes."
Humphreys sure 'different' Ireland will face Italy
- Published10 February
Will wounded Ireland shuffle pack for Italy game?
- Published9 February
Ireland v Italy
2026 Six Nations
Saturday, 14 February, 14:10 GMT
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Listen to full match commentary on BBC Sounds via BBC Radio 5 Sports Extra 2, BBC Radio Ulster and BBC Sport website and app alongside live text commentary
Ward, who is comfortable at number eight or at open-side flanker, is now able to pick the brains of Ireland's back-row cohort, which includes team captain Caelan Doris, six-Test British and Irish Lion Jack Conan and former world player of the year Josh van der Flier.
"It's been class. I've learned so much off the back row guys, Josh, Caelan, Jack, the guys in my position and guys I've looked up to for years.
"It's been surreal being in camp with them and seeing how they go about their business day-to-day, it's pretty cool."
While lining out against a confident Italian outfit fresh from their opening-weekend victory over Scotland would represent an enormous step-up from last week's Ireland XV hit-out at Thomond Park, Ward insists he is ready to take the next step at a time when Ireland fans are crying out for Farrell to pump new blood into his side.
"For people that know me, I'd be a confident kind of player.
"I feel I'd be able to take that step no problem. It'd obviously be a big step-up but it would be something I'd cherish and try to grab with both hands."
'They told me not to go into my shell'

Ward hopes to muscle his way into the Ireland team despite stiff competition for places in the back row
Ballynahinch's Ward is the newest member of a growing Ulster contingent in the Ireland squad.
In Paris last week, Jacob Stockdale ended his five-year absence from the Six Nations, Stuart McCloskey started in midfield after an impressive autumn and Nick Timoney made a significant impact off the bench.
Also in camp are Tom O'Toole, Tom Stewart, Rob Baloucoune and Nathan Doak and Ward - who is still on an academy contract with Ulster - says having so many familiar faces around the training pitch has helped.
"It's great having those guys, there's a decent number of Ulster boys in the squad this year which is great.
"It's really good having them in here. They've given me the confidence to go out there and be myself. They said 'Bryn, be how you are up at Ulster', don't go into my shell.
"It's been really good. They've been very supportive and Nick Timoney has been great with me about learning detail about the seven and eight roles."
While he's trying his best to take it all in his stride, Ward admits he is having to pinch himself after comfortably surpassing his 2025-26 goal of playing five games for Ulster.
"Yesterday, the lads were going to the putting green down at the K Club and Josh said to me 'do you want to go hit a few putts?' and I was thinking that's crazy like, a year ago I was playing for Ballynahinch in the AIL (All-Ireland League) and now I'm going to go hit a few putts with Josh van der Flier."
Keen to keep his head down, though, Ward said he turned down the Leinster star's offer and went back to "my detail".