Summary

  • A man has been shot and killed after entering the secure perimeter of Trump's Mar-a-Lago residence in Florida, the Secret Service says

  • Officers say the suspect was a white male carrying a shotgun and fuel can when he was spotted near the north gate of Mar-a-Lago

  • Multiple sources have identified the suspect as 21-year-old Austin T. Martin, BBC's US partner CBS News reports

  • Officials are investigating if Martin purchased the weapon while driving from his home state of North Carolina, where his family reported him missing on Saturday

  • The incident happened about 01:30 ET (06:30 GMT) - here's what we know so far

  • The US president was not in Florida during the incident, officials say

  • The tight security, even when Trump is away, could help explain why the gunman appears to have been quickly stopped from getting further into the property, writes our White House reporter

Media caption,

Man shot at Mar-a-Lago had raised shotgun, says sheriff

  1. Suspect named but questions remain about motive after armed man killed at Mar-a-Lagopublished at 18:05 GMT

    US Secret Service agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office shot and killed an armed man who entered the inner perimeter at Mar-a-Lago, President Trump's residence in Palm Beach, Florida.

    Trump was not in Florida at the time of the incident.

    The suspect, named by US media as 21-year-old Austin T. Martin, from North Carolina, was reportedly carrying a shotgun and a fuel cannister when he entered Mar-a-Lago about 01:30 local time (06:30 GMT).

    He reportedly gained access near the north gate when a guest was leaving the property.

    Officials are investigating if he purchased the weapon while driving from his home state, where his family are said to have reported him missing on Saturday.

    There are still many unanswered questions about the suspect and his possible motives, writes our White House reporter.

    We're pausing our live coverage, but you can read more about the shooting incident at Mar-a-Lago here.

  2. Pam Bondi in contact with Trump after Mar-a-Lago shootingpublished at 17:27 GMT

    US Attorney General Pamela BondiImage source, EPA/Shutterstock

    Attorney General Pam Bondi says she's been speaking with Trump and coordinating with federal partners all morning about the Mar-a-Lago shooting.

    She adds that she's grateful the president and law enforcement officers are safe.

  3. Map shows where suspect reportedly got inside Mar-a-Lagopublished at 17:10 GMT

    A two-part map showing the location of Mar-a-Lago in Florida and a close-up satellite view of the resort. The top map shows part of Florida’s east coast, including West Palm Beach, with a marker indicating the Mar-a-Lago resort. An inset map of the United States highlights the region. The lower image is a detailed overhead satellite view of the Mar‑a‑Lago property, outlined in white, bordered by water on both sides. A red label notes “Suspect was found at the North gate” near the top edge of the property

    Let's take a look at how the suspect, identified by US media as Austin T. Martin, got inside Mar-a-Lago.

    Authorities told BBC's US partner CBS that Martin entered the Palm Beach property as a guest exited. Mar-a-Lago is a private club, as well as acting as the Florida residence of President Trump.

    Martin was found by agents near the north gate, which opens to a public road on the oceanfront.

    It's here where two Secret Service agents and an officer from the Palm Beach sheriff department confronted Martin.

    He was reportedly holding a shotgun and a fuel can at the time.

    When he was told to drop the items, authorities allege he raised the gun. The agents opened fire on him and he was killed.

  4. FBI dedicating 'all necessary resources' to investigationpublished at 16:48 GMT

    FBI director Kash Patel has just posted a short statement on social media.

    He says the FBI is "dedicating all necessary resources in the investigation of this morning’s incident at President Trump’s Mar-A-Lago".

    Patel says "an armed individual was shot and killed after unlawfully entering the perimeter".

    The FBI will work with the Secret Service as well as state and federal partners and will give further updates when they are able.

  5. Suspect named as Austin Martin, CBS reportspublished at 16:28 GMT
    Breaking

    The man fatally shot at Mar-a-Lago was 21-year-old Austin T. Martin of Cameron, North Carolina, multiple sources have told the BBC's US partner CBS News.

    Authorities say he was carrying a shotgun and a fuel can when he entered Mar a Lago, gaining entrance as a guest was exiting.

    Martin's family had reported him missing just yesterday, CBS reports.

    Officials are looking into whether he bought the gun along the driving route he took from North Carolina to Florida, according to CBS.

  6. Karoline Leavitt praises Secret Service for quick and decisive actionpublished at 16:14 GMT

    A close-up imaeg of Karoline LeavittImage source, Getty Images

    White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt has praised the Secret Service for acting "quickly and decisively" to neutralise the suspect, who she described as a "crazy person, armed with a gun and a gas canister, who intruded President Trump’s home".

    She says in a statement on X that federal law enforcement officers work around the clock to keep the country, and all Americans, safe.

  7. Mar-a-Lago: The Winter White House which hosts world leaderspublished at 16:02 GMT

    Mar-A-LagoImage source, Getty Images

    Known as the Winter White House, Mar-A-Lago is President Trump's Florida residence.

    He bought the sprawling Spanish style mansion in 1985 for $10m (£7.4m), and it became the Trump family’s winter getaway.

    During his presidency, Trump has frequently used the estate to host world leaders, celebrities and business bosses at glittering parties and fundraisers.

    Built in 1927, Mar-A-Lago is also an exclusive private members exclusive club, where guests have access to the whole estate apart from the Trump family's private area.

  8. Trump and his family 'shouldn’t have to endure attempt after attempt', Bessent sayspublished at 15:49 GMT

    Treasury Secretary Scott BessentImage source, EPA

    Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has told Fox News that he’s just spoken with President Trump.

    Bessent says Trump and his family are safe, but adds: "They shouldn’t have to endure attempt after attempt."

    He says the security perimeter around the president is as strong as it’s ever been, and the Secret Service are much better now than they were at the time of the assassination attempt in Butler, Pennsylvania in 2024.

    Bessent also blames political violence like this on the left.

    "This existential threat, this venom from the left really has to stop. They've normalised this violence," he says.

    As a reminder, we’re still unclear about the motive of the suspect.

  9. Analysis

    Security at Mar-a-Lago remains tight in Trump's absencepublished at 15:28 GMT

    Bernd Debusmann Jr
    White House reporter

    aerial shot of Mar-a-Lago estate from 2022Image source, Getty Images

    Donald Trump stayed in Washington DC this week, far from his Mar-a-Lago estate. Even so, the shooting is both surprising and shocking.

    I've been to Mar-a-Lago several times, including twice in December and January this year.

    Security at the property is extremely tight, with an outer cordon of local Palm Beach sheriffs and an inner one maintained by the Secret Service. Visitors are searched, and cars and bags are checked by dogs and metal detectors.

    While we're still getting details of the incident, the tight security could help explain why the gunman appears to have been quickly stopped from getting further into the property.

    Even when Trump and his personal security detail are away, security is maintained. Regulars at Mar-a-Lago include prominent Republican figures and wealthy business leaders.

    There are still many unanswered questions about the suspect and his possible motives.

    But the incident will almost certainly spark concern about political violence in the US, as have other incidents such as the two attempts on Trump's life and the shooting of right-wing political activist Charlie Kirk.

  10. Not the first time officers have dealt with armed suspects while protecting Trumppublished at 15:08 GMT

    agents grabbing onto Trump, who has blood on his ear and faceImage source, Getty Images
    Image caption,

    Trump was shot in the ear on 13 July 2024 in Butler, Pennsylvania

    While the motive of the man who was shot and killed is still not completely clear, this isn't the first time officers have dealt with armed suspects while protecting Donald Trump.

    In September 2024, a US Secret Service agent spotted a rifle sticking out of bushes at Trump International Golf Club in West Palm Beach. The man, later identified as Ryan Routh, fled but was caught.

    Routh was later found guilty of attempting to assassinate Trump, and was sentenced in February 2026 to life in prison.

    And in July 2024, a would-be assassin shot at Trump as he spoke at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania. The 20-year-old attacker, Thomas Matthew Crooks, was killed in the incident. One other person was also killed, two others were seriously injured, and Trump was shot in the ear.

  11. What we know and what we don't knowpublished at 14:54 GMT

    Mar-a-LagoImage source, Reuters

    Following the news briefing just now, here’s what we know and what we don’t know.

    What we know

    The US Secret Service says it shot and killed a man in his 20s who tried to enter President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Florida.

    President Trump was in Washington DC at the time.

    Agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office confronted the man, who had entered the inner perimeter at 01:30 local time (06:30 GMT).

    Sheriff Ric Bradshaw told journalists that security found the white man carrying a petrol canister and a shotgun.

    They ordered the man to drop them. He dropped the can and raised the shotgun to a firing position. At that point, agents fired their weapons to “neutralise the threat”, Bradshaw said.

    The officers were wearing body cameras. Two agencies were involved - the Secret Service and the Sheriff’s Office. No law enforcement officers were injured.

    What we don’t know

    We still don't know the identity of the man who was shot or the circumstances of his attempt to enter. It's also unclear how many shots were fired, or if the man's gun was loaded.

  12. Not clear how many shots were fired, sheriff sayspublished at 14:42 GMT

    The sheriff says they don't know how many shots were fired.

    He also says he doesn't know if the suspect's gun was loaded, and that is part of the investigation.

    This is the end of the briefing. Keep following for our recaps and analysis.

  13. Authorities show image of weaponpublished at 14:41 GMT

    Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw held up a picture of the suspect's shotgun, with a red petrol canister visible in the background.

    sheriff holding up a printed-out picture of a shotgun on the pavementImage source, Palm Beach County Sheriff
  14. No law enforcement officer injured - Secret Service special agentpublished at 14:41 GMT

    US Secret Service Special Agent Rafael Barros says two special agents were involved in the shooting.

    Preliminary information shows the individual had a petrol canister, he says.

    Barros adds that no law enforcement officer was injured and the president was not in Florida at the time.

  15. Secret Service and Sheriff's Office involved in the incidentpublished at 14:39 GMT

    Bradshaw says there are two agencies involved in the incident - the Secret Service and the Sheriff's Office.

    The sheriff also says that those involved in the shooting were wearing body cameras at the time.

    He says the man was "just inside the inner perimeter". The only words those involved in the shooting said to the man were: "Drop the items".

  16. FBI collecting evidencepublished at 14:35 GMT

    FBI spokesman Brett Skiles says the area where the shooting happened was under Secret Service protection, and the FBI is collecting evidence.

    He asks anyone living nearby to check their exterior security cameras for anything unusual, and to contact the West Palm Beach Sheriff's Office if they spot anything out of place.

  17. Man raised shotgun to firing position, sheriff sayspublished at 14:34 GMT

    Bradshaw says that when security went to investigate, they found a white man carrying a petrol can and a shotgun.

    Security ordered the man to drop them.

    He dropped the can and raised the shotgun to a firing position.

    At that point, agents fired their weapons to "neutralise the threat".

  18. Man made his way to inner perimeter of Mar-a-Lago - sheriffpublished at 14:32 GMT

    Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric BradshawImage source, Reuters

    Palm Beach County Sheriff Ric Bradshaw speaks first.

    He says security detected that a man had made his way into the inner perimeter of Mar-a-Lago at 01:30 local time (06:30 GMT).

  19. Briefing beginspublished at 14:27 GMT
    Breaking

    A news briefing about the shooting has started.

    We're expecting to hear more details about what happened - follow along with us for updates.

    You can also watch live at the top of this page.

  20. Suspect's identity not yet knownpublished at 14:22 GMT

    US Secret Service agents and a deputy from the Palm Beach County Sheriff's office confronted the man, who was in his 20s, and shots were fired during the encounter, the Secret Service says.

    The man's identity is not being released yet.

    None of the Secret Service's protectees were present at the location at the time, the Secret Service says.

    President Donald Trump is staying at the White House this weekend, according to his public schedule.